AKC S.T.A.R. PUPPY Program
Canine Good Citizen (CGC) FOR PUPPIES!
“STAR” (an acronym for)
Activity and a
How does the program work?
Owners take their puppies to a 5 weeks long training class taught by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator (Janet) and graduates. You must attend all 5 classes. AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy is open to purebred and mixed breed dogs and the program defines ‘puppy’ as a dog up to the age of 1 year old. There is an additional $15.00 charge to enroll in this program and receive the testing. This can be paid at class by check or cash. This program will give you the skills needed to give puppies a good foundation for CGC training that will come later.
Please click here to go to the Responsible Dog Owners Pledge. Please print out the Pledge, sign and date it and bring to the first class. The evaluator will administer the 20-item AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy test during the 5 week class. After passing all 20 items in the test, the owners will be given the paperwork at the last class to enroll in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy program. The owner sends the paperwork and $10.00 to AKC.
What do owners get when they enroll their puppies in AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy?
Enrolling in AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy means the puppy is listed in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records.
In addition, the owner receives:
A gorgeous gold Olympics-style medal with the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy logo.
• An attractive, frameable AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy certificate.
• An AKC Puppy Handbook.
(This 64 page booklet is full of information on raising puppies. What to expect each week during the first year, housetraining, crate training, and grooming tips are just some of the many topics).
• Discount enrollment in AKC Companion Animal Recovery.
• Subscription to our monthly e-mail newsletter that includes training tips and other valuable information.
20 STEPS To Success: The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Test
1. Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy). Bring a copy to class
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 5 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy at the last class
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
7. Free of aggression toward people at class
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9. Tolerates collar
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN®
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
13. Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
15. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
16. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
17. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
18. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
19. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)